Friday, August 6, 2010

OZUMO - Photo Break - Whatcha think?

Blackberry Spritzer
I received a new camera and lens for my anniversary.  I asked the BH for the gift in the hope I might learn to do justice to the artistry of the Chefs in the restaurants I patronize. This article is meant primarily to be a vehicle to showcase a few of my first pics. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think of these early efforts at photography. The magnification and narrow depth of field present new challenges, but I'm up to it. I've never met an artistic challenge I didn't like!

I last reviewed Ozumo in the winter of ‘09. It is a place on the upswing, its smooth, polished, interior beckons to the lunch and dinner crowds it caters to. At the time, I commented that the layout of the restaurant had “empty spaces crying out for people to fill them.”  Well these days, it’s always pretty full and it works for them. The food is good, the service is good if a bit slow (they try, but it’s crazy big and when it’s packed, it can get frenetic). That said, they got me in and out in less than an hour over lunch yesterday, while accommodating a table full of women who kept wanting to be moved around ‘to get out faster.’

At the time I also commented that it was looking for it’s stride. I say its definitely found it.
"Riceless" Sushi Roll with smoky pepper sauce
I go there often these days because it is close to my office, and sushi is fairly light. I had a dinner engagement yesterday night and just can’t eat two huge meals in a day. We had non-alchoholic beverages: tea for me and one of their amazing fresh fruit spritzers for the BH. Their special roll yesterday was this amazing “riceless” roll that was essentially cucumber wrapped around a slice of tuna-esque fish and a Spicy Tuna Roll. As you can see, plating is imaginative and inviting. The BH had a Beef Bento Box special. He loved it, and I have to say it was well done.

Edamame with garlic
I have been here now over a dozen times and the food is always consistently good. The alcoholic drinks, when we indulge in them, are uniformly excellent.

Check it out for yourself. If you like Japanese you won't be disappointed. If you're local, make it dinner. Bon Appetit!


OZUMO (Oakland)
2251 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94612
510-287-8476
http://www.ozumo.com/


Dining table size: Adequate
Noise: Probably pretty loud at night, daytime no problem
Dining time: can be in and out over lunch hour no problem
Cost: Pricy.
Spicy Tuna Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should be able to comment without becoming a Google user. If you have trouble, shoot me an email. Thanks!